The many faces of Cape Verde on Le Ponant
On the Cape Verde Islands, formed from volcanic lava and sculpted by the power of the Atlantic’s waves, you will experience the raw beauty of incomparable nature. There are of course the strains of morna coming from Mindelo. There is the history of a former Portuguese colony that still bears traces of its past and has a geographic situation that has meant many influences for this string of islands. Above all, though, Cape Verde represents an indefinable feeling of freedom. Carried by the wind, Le Ponant will take you into a unexpected world where the elements will imbue you with new emotions.
Soft music rises from Mindelo, the music of Cesária Évora, “the Barefoot Diva”, who is inextricably linked to her island and her town, where she remains revered. The pastel colours of the façades and the former colonial buildings dot the Cape Verdean towns and villages that you will discover from the sea. Aboard Le Ponant, you will enjoy the privilege of an intimate atmosphere in the hushed comfort of the ship. As your cruise unfolds, you will discover the historic city of São Filipe inexorably turned to the sea, on the island of Fogo, and you will explore Praia, the capital of Cape Verde with its diverse influences, planted with tamarind and silk trees. Wherever you go, you will be captivated by the markets with their bright colours and fragrance-filled stalls.
The sky and the sea, unspoiled nature and the Cape Verdean soul will sweep you away aboard Le Ponant. Everywhere you look, you will see surprising and larger-than-life landscapes. The highest island in the archipelago, Fogo, is like a painting featuring a palette of colours, at times emerald, at times grey, revealing old lava flows amidst lush vegetation. In São Nicolau, the steep hillsides soon rise on the horizon, while the deep valleys will welcome you to discover the dragon trees, these ancient trees with a majestic silhouette. Boa Vista offers another face of Cape Verde, with its dunes of fine sand stretching as far as the eye can see, revealing the cerulean blue of the Atlantic. And volcanos are everywhere here, watching over the landscape, their sharp contours unveiling the power of wild nature.
The changing winds will set the pace of your odyssey, freedom will surge up on the horizon, in the soft calm offered by the interior of PONANT’s emblematic yacht. If you look to the sky, you will perhaps glimpse some of the many bird species that can be found in this piece of land lost in the Atlantic Ocean. You are sure to be surprised by the variety of activities during your trip, from hiking the paths of the archipelago to lazing on the bridge of the ship or on a Cape Verdean beach, to cultural discoveries and the exploration of a fascinating heritage.
This legendary yacht offers a uniquely exclusive voyage experience. An invitation to sail, revitalise oneself, share, contemplate and respect the world around us. An ode to freedom and the treasures of nature.
With its common areas open extensively to the horizon, you will have never felt such communion with the elements. With one crew member per passenger and just thirty-two guests on board, you will have never enjoyed so much attention. With navigation under sail the moment conditions allow, you will have never savoured each second that passes to such an extent.
PONANT is the World Leader in Luxury Expeditions with ultra-modern, intimate ships, offering attentive service and well-designed itineraries that touch all corners of the globe. Every cruise is a blend of adventure, exploration, and discovery—all experienced in luxurious comfort, even in the heart of extreme landscapes.
Why cruise with PONANT?
• 12 luxury small ships, able to easily navigate small waterways and visit remote destinations not accessible by large cruise ships.
• Le Commandant Charcot, the world’s first luxury hybrid-electric polar exploration yacht, sails further into the polar regions (including the Geographic North Pole).
• The youngest expedition fleet afloat.
• The leader in luxury polar expeditions for over 20 years and cultural cruising for over 30 years.
• Over 400 awe-inspiring cruises, calling at over 450 ports on all seven continents.
• Experts on board our voyages of discovery and learning to enrich guests’ understanding of the destinations.
• An exclusive partnership with Smithsonian Journeys, the the travel program of the Smithsonian Institution.
• Understated elegance on board with French-inspired cuisine, fine wines, and chic design.
• Proud to partner with Sothys, Veuve Clicquot, and Ducasse Conseil. Ships feature fabrics by Pierre Frey, beauty products from Hermès, macarons by Ladurée, and tea from Palais des Thés.
• 100% of our staterooms have a sea view and 95% have a balcony (100% on the PONANT EXPLORERS).
• Attentive yet discreet service from an experienced, multilingual onboard staff and crew.
• Open bridge access (requires approval from Captain).
• “Clean Ship” certification for the fleet in recognition of their eco-friendly features.
• All-inclusive pricing with open bar, gratuities, port fees, and taxes (including Zodiac explorations/landings on expeditions).
• The world’s first underwater passenger lounge, the Blue Eye, featured exclusively on the PONANT EXPLORER ships.